I am committed to creating online experiences that are accessible to all. I am committed to listening to and learning from you when I miss that mark.
I continue to learn about inclusive design and writing, universal design principles, and accessibility methods and tools. I want to make sure everyone can read, learn, and interact with content I put into the world.
I will make mistakes and you will find issues. Please report them.
If you have time, I’d love to speak with you about your experience.
I commit to making the changes necessary to continue my journey into designing solutions for every human.
- Current contrast issues on some buttons throughout the site. I will be updating the theme for this website in July, 2020 and testing further.
- Language issues: older articles may include text that is not inclusive and/or difficult to read or understand. If you find something, please report it.
Current Actions to Support Accessibility
- WP Accessibility Plugin: allows you to change some settings to create a better, more usable experience on this website.
- Checking for inclusive language and reading levels: I use a variety of tools to write for this website. I almost always run the content through Hemingway App to check reading grade level and content structure. I am learning how to be more inclusive when I write. I continue to research tools and techniques to improve.
- Commitment to learning: I commit to being proactive in my learning and development through research, reading, courses, and engaging in communities of practice.
- Correcting errors promptly: I know I won’t always get it right. I commit to correcting issues promptly when I screw up.
- Adding proper ALT Text tags to images.
- Reviewing images and theme color choices for color and contrast issues.
- Creating accessible web forms
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) is developed through the W3C process in cooperation with individuals and organizations around the world, with a goal of providing a single shared standard for web content accessibility that meets the needs of individuals, organizations, and governments internationally.WCAG Website (Link Opens in New Window)
- I aim for a minimum of Level AA.
- I commit to testing new themes and plugins used on this site to meet at least Level AA and attempting to meet Level AAA.
- This website and the forms within should work in all browsers on all devices. If you experience an issue, please report it below.
- This site is built on the latest version of WordPress (link opens in new window) and using the accessibility-ready Veganos (link opens in new window) theme.
Report An Issue
- Web Accessibility (with website tester)
- WAVE Accessibility Test
- Themes: Accessible Ready WordPress Themes
- CampusPress Accessibility Resources
- WCAG Guidelines
- WordPress Accessibility Handbook
- CampusPress Complete Guide to WordPress Accessibility
- Hemingway App for Readability
- Tota11y accessibility checker
- Resources for accessibility in learning from Learning Ninjas